Cloth diapering is going well, but at three weeks little Madeline began soaking her flannel prefold diaper! Even during the daytime! She’s too young to have a ‘naptime’ that’s longer than anything else, her diaper gets changed every 2-2.5 hours during the day and even then, more often than not she’s soaked. I hate that about cotton, when it gets wet it stays wet. If I had a little time doing something other than mother duties I’d serge together some cut-up towels to make a soaker pad insert. Luckily we use wool ‘culottes’ (covers) which keep her clothing dry, but I’m not too happy about her being wet up to the waist!
Meanwhile, I found a bamboo fabric source in France. Anything special, and mail-order, is usually found in France. Or Germany, probably, but I don’t know any German. Belgium and the Netherlands are too small to support a niche mail-order market; I don’t even bother with Luxembourg. Anyhoo! Bamboo is apparently several notches up in absorbability to cotton, and hemp is very absorbant too. In the States I found bamboo-hemp mixes, but in France I’ve only found bamboo-poly. Yuck. Because poly retains smells, and oily stains (read: nappy rash cream) so obviously it’s a distant second choice. Madeline got a nappy rash from disposables within 4 days of life, so she’s very sensitive to diapers that don’t breathe. But the bamboo alone can’t ‘stand’ a 60C wash, so 100% bamboo is out of the question. Poly doesn’t breathe but at just a 15% blend it’s not gonna make a big diff. Anyway. When I get time to sew another batch of diapers… huh. These prefolds are size 0-6mos, but obviously they won’t be able to make it till 6 months. At least they can become serviceable doubler/inserts to beef up her new diapers.
Hey, I’m glad that I went the prefold route, because they were easy and cheap to sew, which made them perfect for a cloth nappy experiment, sewn while pregnant and working full-time. DH wants fitted nappies for the next batch, which means a nappy that’s like a disposable, but made from resuable cloth: contoured to the body instead of a rectangle, and with elastic on the legs and back waist.
For experimental purposes, we bought two terry cloth diapers, a fitted and a pocket diaper. The pocket means it has a removable pad insert; otherwise they are the same thing. I thought they were bamboo, but well–I hope they’re just cotton. Because she soaked through them too!
Madeline had her first wild night last night, she was restless and nothing settled her from 3:30 to 7 am. At least babies aren’t too complicated. She probably alternated between hunger and exhaustion, and wore herself (and me) out by wailing; which caused her to swallow a lot of air. Acid, bubbles of air–just like a volcano her tummy rumbled, and she spit up. Perhaps I ate something off yesterday ecause she had a lot of problems with gas. She drew her little legs up and squealed in pain from gas, but threw a fit if I stopped feeding her to burp her. Poor little mite, but at least she knows I was there and tried soothing her through her discomfort. By 6:30 though I was pretty worn out and my entire bag of tricks had been gone through. Thank GOODNESS it’s over now!